Prince Philip taken to hospital

pa.press.net
The Duke of Edinburgh has been taken to hospital with a bladder infection // The Duke of Edinburgh has been taken to hospital with a bladder infection
The Duke of Edinburgh has been taken to hospital with a bladder infection
The Duke of Edinburgh has been taken to hospital with a bladder infection, Buckingham Palace has said.
Philip, 90, was taken to the King Edward VII Hospital in London from Windsor Castle earlier on Monday as a precautionary measure.
He will remain in hospital under observation for a few days, said a palace spokeswoman.
The news was released just hours before the Diamond Jubilee concert was due to begin in front of Buckingham Palace.
The spokesman said the Queen would still be attending Monday night's concert.
The statement about the Duke's health said: "HRH The Duke of Edinburgh was taken to King Edward VII Hospital in London this afternoon, from Windsor Castle, as a precautionary measure after developing a bladder infection, which is being assessed and treated.
"Prince Philip will remain in hospital under observation for a few days. He is, understandably, disappointed about missing this evening's Diamond Jubilee Concert and tomorrow's engagements."
Take That star Gary Barlow, who has helped organise much of the concert, reacted to the news of Philip's illness by saying: "It's sad, really sad."
In St James's Park retired teacher Kate Gregory, 62, from Stourbridge in the West Midlands, said: "I feel sorry for the Queen really that it has happened now, because he's always by her side.
Continued
Page 1 of 2Next