Taliban claims fuel supply bombing
Jul 19 2012
The Taliban said it detonated a bomb on a fuel tanker and then opened fire on other Nato supply trucks, destroying 22 vehicles loaded with fuel and other goods for US-led coalition forces in Afghanistan.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed the early morning attack in Samangan province in the north.
Sidiq Azizi, a spokesman for the province, said many tankers and trailers caught fire after the bomb went off. By noon, heavy black smoke still poured from the Rabatak area of the province where the truckers had stopped to rest. Firefighters were spraying water on the burning vehicles.
Mr Azizi said: "There was a big boom. It's possible that is was a magnetic bomb from insurgents. We are investigating. I counted 20 fuel tankers burning. There is still a very big fire. The weather is very hot and it's hard to get close to the fire."
The tankers in the convoy were transporting fuel south toward the Afghan capital, Kabul, from neighbouring Uzbekistan to the north.
Earlier this week, three Nato supply trucks were destroyed by militants in Sayd Abad district of Wardak province in eastern Afghanistan. Convoy traffic in the east has become heavier since Pakistan reopened its border crossings about two weeks ago. Islamabad blocked Nato supply trucks for seven months in retaliation for US air strikes that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
|Page 1 of 2||Next|