Chelsea complete Hazard deal
Jun 04 2012
Eden Hazard has finally completed his move to Chelsea after passing a medical with the European champions.
Almost a week after announcing he had decided to move to Stamford Bridge, the 21-year-old Belgium international was officially confirmed as a Blues player. Hazard cost a reported £32million from Lille, which would make him the second most expensive player in Chelsea's history behind Fernando Torres.
The club said in a statement on their official website, www.chelseafc.com: "Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce we have agreed terms with Lille for the transfer of Eden Hazard."
The statement continued: "The 21-year-old Belgian international has agreed personal terms with the club and passed a medical examination.
"He will join the club in July when the players return for pre-season training."
Hazard added: "I'm delighted to finally arrive here - it's a wonderful club and I can't wait to get started."
As Chelsea were preparing to announce Hazard's signing, the player himself was giving an interview to French radio station RMC, where he revealed his reasons for choosing to join them. The Blues reportedly won a bidding war for his services and are said to be paying him around £170,000 a week over a five-year contract.
Manchester United and Manchester City had been favourites to land the Ligue 1 player of the year, but Chelsea's surprise Champions League triumph turned his head.
"When they won the Champions League I told myself, 'Why not Chelsea?' Hazard said, revealing he also felt he would get more game time at Stamford Bridge.
"There was a struggle between Chelsea and United but, for me, Chelsea has the best project. The team is young and I have a better chance to play there."
Copyright PA Sport 2012, All Rights Reserved
|Page 1 of 1|