Beckham left out of Olympic squad
Jun 28 2012
David Beckham has not been picked for the British Olympic football squad, the player has revealed.
The 37-year-old had hoped to be named as one of three over-age players but has not been selected by Olympic team coach Stuart Pearce. It is understood Ryan Giggs, Craig Bellamy and Micah Richards will be the three over-age players confirmed by Pearce next week.
Beckham said in a statement released to the Press Association: "Everyone knows how much playing for my country has always meant to me, so I would have been honoured to have been part of this unique Team GB squad."
He added: "Naturally I am very disappointed, but there will be no bigger supporter of the team than me. And like everyone, I will be hoping they can win the gold.
"As a Londoner I was really proud to have played a small part in bringing the Olympics to my home town as part of Seb's [Coe] team and I can't wait for the Games to begin and will enjoy every moment along with the rest of Great Britain."
Beckham is understood to have been told by Pearce that he had chosen to pick Richards instead because he wanted stronger defensive options.
The former England midfielder had been on the 35-man shortlist and Pearce had flown out to the United States to watch him in action for the Los Angeles Galaxy. The player could also point out that he would have at least been match-fit while all the other players would be entering the tournament after the summer break.
Giggs and Bellamy were widely expected to be included but the call-up of Richards is also as much of a surprise as the Manchester City defender being left out of England's Euro 2012 squad - after which he refused to go on standby for the European Championship.
Other under-23 players who are almost certain to be confirmed by Pearce include Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey and Tottenham's Gareth Bale.
Copyright PA Sport 2012, All Rights Reserved
|Page 1 of 1|